Naming rights sponsor:
Learmonth FNC is a Level 3 Good Sports accredited club.
Good Sports works with communities to make sports clubs safe and healthy by providing advice about managing alcohol responsibly and making clubs more family-friendly.
As a Level 3 Good Sports club we abide by a liquor license, have bar management strategies and a full alcohol management plan in place, and our bar staff attend Responsible Service of Alcohol training.
We also try not to rely on revenue from bar sales by seeking other income opportunities, and we have a safe transport policy in place.
For more information visit GoodSports.com.au or Facebook.com/GoodSportsClubs
Learmonth FNC History
At the turn of the 19th century, the Learmonth football club was formed and played social games against neighbouring towns of Waubra, Burrumbeet and Coghill’s Creek. These social games extended to Lexton and even Ballarat before the formation of the Learmonth and District FA in 1912 with the first premierships being won by Burrumbeet and Coghill’s Creek. The 1st world war caused the suspension of the league but was revived in 1919 following the war and we won our first flag in 1920 under the coaching of Dan Ryan. The 1920’s yielded 3 flags and 5 runners up and the 1930’s 4 senior premierships.
The late 1940’s bought about major changes to football in the area with the disbanding of the Learmonth & DFA and for 2 years we played in the Burrumbeet and district FA before joining the Clunes league in 1947. Upon joining this new league our existing club colours of red and blue clashed with another new entrant to the competition in our spa country advisory’s in Hepburn who were able to register at an earlier date. Our new colours of royal blue and gold were born which was originally a gold sash on a royal blue background, the change to our current strip with a gold V was introduced during the late 1960’s.
Learmonth won their first Clunes league premiership in 1952 under the guidance of Coach Tom Davies. 1955 saw another flag under playing coach Jack Johns, which was a fitting salute after three wonderful years (1953-55) which saw Johns win 3 consecutive club B&F’s and 2 league medals as it’s best & fairest player. It remains our last senior grade premiership with near misses in 1977 when we finished fifth on the ladder and barnstormed through the finals eventually going down in the GF by 3 points to new league club Wendouree. 1994 saw another Grand Final appearance under the coaching of club legend Jim Ford, again coming from the lower rungs of the final five but going down to the undefeated Dunnstown in the Grand Final.
1980 saw the amalgamation of the Clunes league with the Ballarat & District league to form the Central Highlands Football League which proved to be a very stable and strong league within the region. A few changes have occurred through the years with the additions of Beaufort and Daylesford from the Ballarat FL and in 2011 four clubs Rokewood-Corindhap, Carngham-Linton, Skipton and Illabarook joining from the disbanded Lexton Plains to form an 18 team strong competition.